06/05/2011

Confessions of a Chocoholic...

So, having completed lent - something I realise I never really commented on - I am ashamed to admit that in the past 24 hours I have consumed a total of 8.. yes 8 chocolate bars and 2 pain au chocolats.  And I thought this 40 days of chocolate was meant to help my little chocolate addiction.  If anything it has made it worse..

What I have realised was during lent I would crave chocolate but then thought of all the reasons for going 40 days without and then would stop myself.. however now I have nothing stopping me!!  

I proved I could do it, to myself most importantly and to everyone else who doubted me *cough* Keri, Lucy, Sam *cough* to name but a few. But now where does it leave me?!  I still feel like I am doing something wrong when buying chocolate but then remind myself that now I can.. maybe I should just keep the ban going? Who knows?  

All I know is when I first started eating chocolate again I didn't want it and was SO shocked.  I thought to myself.. 'What have I done!!!' However within a few days I was back to my normal self, eating chocolate as regularly as most people have a drink ( a non alcoholic drink :P) 

Maybe the one difference is that I no longer feel that I NEED chocolate.  This is quite honestly a feeling I sometimes get, much as I would imagine a smoker feels when they need a cigarette.  The feeling that the world WILL end if I do not have that little sweet, sticky piece of yummy goodness.  This is perhaps best illustrated with a little story.  

Imagine Bischofshofen (my beautiful mountain town in Austria) in winter... it is night time, it is cold (probably about minus 15 something tropical like that :P) and it is hammering down with snow.  Then imagine me... craving chocolate as if there is no tomorrow... then see me actually get dressed (I was in my pyjamas) and get my snow boots and jacket on and trek the whole way to the station just to get some chocolate from the vending machine.... 

Judge all you want!! Now I look back and laugh, but really.. it's not that funny!

The good news is that after my experience this year I don't think there will be any late night snow adventures for me! :)  I have also realised that I actually feel quite proud in having achieved the full 40 days, despite MANY temptations - I even passed on Ben and Jerry's in Ibiza AND Chocolate and Churros in Madrid  THREE times!!!

So, my conclusion to this very random blog post can be that I no longer feel quite so attached.  Chocolate will still feature heavily in my life I am sure but maybe with slightly less importance as I now know I can control said addiction...

Goodnight

 Amazing Ice cream in a crepe - the crepe serves as the cone.. two of my faves combined!!

No comments:

Post a Comment