24/06/2011

They don't do tables for one


Reading other blogs made me realise I should really update my own seeing as it has been a while.  I am now in France and am having a wonderful time discovering the world of working full time.  I am actually really enjoying it so am happy happy happy :D

I arrived after just a few hours in the UK and was welcomed by my granddad (papy).  I flew to Girona and was one of the 6 non-Barcelona supporters on the flight.  As it was the early morning flight from Luton the morning after the final with Manchester United, we were surrounded by blue and maroon shirts.  They even treated us to a song as we landed, which made a nice change from the normal Ryanair fanfair!

Work is really interesting and I have lovely colleagues so I haven't even seen the last 4 weeks fly by.  I start at 9 every day and then finish at 6 or 7 depending on the timetable.  It took a bit of getting used to after having had so much free time in Spain but I am loving it.  It is a little insight into what the future might be like.
 
So, the job itself.  I am working in a tourism office and spend most of my time at 'l'acceuil', so talking to tourists (in all four languages!!) and advising them what they can do in the town, department and region.  We get a whole range of questions so every day presents me with new challenges.  I also help out with sorting out the post and emails and of course answer the phone.  It is really interesting switching between my languages so much, sometimes having to go from one to the other within seconds.  Good brain training I think!

There are a couple of other stagiaires too and as Lena has the same lunch hours as me we spend our time discovering the different places to eat in the town centre and also visiting things when we can.  I will do another blog post soon explaining our visits and a bit more about the town and what I have been up to with la famille.

I hope this keeps you all going for now!  The title of this blog comes from one of my lunch dates in the first couple of weeks, when the waiter asked me how many people the table was for and I said 'For one!' and he jokingly replied  'Well we don't do tables for one.'  I was, as you can imagine, not terribly amused.  Ah well, it has been fun lunching alone and being able to observe the people and the world going by...

1 comment:

  1. I can't swtich between languages like that. Wish I could!! :D hope all is well xx

    ReplyDelete