18/06/2011

Adios

So I am now in France and it is time to reflect upon my time in Spain.  It was so so different to my 5 months in Austria and I have to say I hadn't prepared myself for the culture shock at all.  The shock is bad enough when going from your own country and culture to a new one and when you have enough time to prepare for it.  So the fact that I was moving from a culture other than my own to a new one made it more difficult and I also only spent 48 hours at home in between. 

My time in Spain was certainly more challenging than Austria, but was equally enriching and my Spanish improved hugely.

I think the main point to make is that I am less suited to a country like Spain.  Despite having Spanish blood in my veins I am not made for their laid back ways.  I am most certainly a morning person so the fact that they tend to stay up late and get up late morning is not really me.  I am also someone who is fairly ‘why wait if you can do it now’, so the ‘mañana mañana’ attitude also took some getting used to.

All this said I had a lovely time and have some very fond memories.  I met a whole range of people; from the business man I taught English to, to my wonderfully welcoming housemates and feel like I benefitted enormously from the experience.  The things I will miss most:

·      My weekly chats with the fabulous lady at the post office :D
·      The weather – seriously 4 months of sunshine!! I even have a pretty good tan going, which for me is very impressive!
·      The time to do things and appreciate what is going on around me.
·      Teaching lessons in the sunshine everyday on the plaza.
·      French lessons with Esther – the most wonderful French teacher at the university.
·      The city of Madrid itself.  I really like it as a capital and think people don’t give it enough credit.
·      Chinese Fridays with my friends.
·      Making Sangria with my housemates.

Spain, at times you were massively interesting, but I am glad I lived there.  4 months I will never forget…







The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment